Buenos tardes and howdy do everyone!
So today was a pretty typical Thursday. My writing class, then chem recitation immediately followed by chem lab. Lab was nice today because, since we have to turn in a computer generated plot, the lab report was not due today at the end of lab. I also think I might understand how to do the report without asking my TA every single question! Yay for us!
So I looked at yesterday's post, and I realize that the title made no sense whatsoever. Zilch. None. Zipo. So, if you will, kind reader, I would like to explain what the title might have meant had the topic under discussion been what I had intended it to be.
Alcohol. Yes yes, I know, I always write about alcohol but this is different. This is lab-alcohol. The alchohol that is made in a test tube by thousands of tiny little one celled organisms that take in glucose, do some fancy and surprising complicated procedures (they don't even have brains! No, nuclei don't count), and voila! you get alcohol. Lab-alcohol.
Ok, you got me. It's not really alchohol, or rather, not the stuff you were thinking of. Not the stuff that makes your throat burn and your nose scrunch up. Not that. Ethanol. Another form of alcohol that is made during alcoholic fermentation, the process that makes bread dough rise. And what are those darling little single celled organisms?
That's right! You guessed it: yeast! I am paying thousands of dollars and working my ass of reading hours per night just to go to lab and watch yeast make carbon dioxide in a tube. God I feel smart.
Anyway, the point. The point is that is all the alcohol I have come into contact, visually, spacially, or otherwise, in the last four days. People got work to do, man. Can't be showing up smelling of booze to the class of the person who's going to write your recommendation to med school. Which is almost literally half the school here. Everyone wants to be a doctor or an MD PhD, everyone want to do research, everyone is awesome. And we are. Everyone of us has done something to get us noticed, to get us into this school with an acceptance rate (according to 2008 edition of Fiske's guide to colleges) below that of Harvard.
So long story short, this is not an ordinary campus. My experience might be different from the "typical" experience. But it is representative of a certain population of American college students and their activities. Ok, I'm not sure where I was going with that, but there you go.
Tomorrow, I believe I will be drowning in books, not booze, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out to make tomorrow's blog interesting. Sianara (yeah i can't spell it, laugh it up people, go out on the web, find the correct spelling, and comment it to me just so you can be that one person who corrects the grammer/spelling of the blog. go on. i dare you) and see you later!
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment