Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Good to Be Back

So my fine followers, how are you?

No, I have not died or any other nonsense, thank you for worrying! And to those of you who were just annoyed and pissed off, where is this girl, god, "I actually get over here to read and she doesn't write"...blah blah blah, well I'm back now so keep your hair on. And for the indifferent crowd, "I don't care about you at all why should I?" Great, welcome, just sit there and be quiet, bystanders to your own life.

Ok sorry, that last bit was a little rude, but come on people! Life is meant to be lived so stop sitting there looking blankly at the professor when asked a question and making me answer just because no one else will.

Rant over, promise.

So, last weekend was fun, NOT! Spanish composition, a book to read by Thursday, and a Biology test. Doesn't sound too bad right? You have the same and you still went out, drank, danced, had fun?

Well good for you! Clearly your Bio professor was not displeased with the mean of your first exam, and clearly did not decide to add two more problem sets and another two lectures (which equals two chapers in the book) to improve our scores. Sigh.

So, I spent the weekend making painfully specific outlines for cellular respiration, every little intermediate for glycolysis, the citric acid cycle, the Cori cycle, and the Calvin cycle. Metabolism is a bitch. Oh the upside, I did not get drunk and go banging around the floor at four in the morning either. I am not sure as to the identity of the four-am-smashing-into-waller, but I think it is safe to say he had a good time. This was the weekend too. The weekend before the week before spring break, everyone still on campus, night ripe for the debachery. I was invited to two private parties, both of which advertised alcohol, "bring a few dollars if you want to drink the high priced shit" and "come for jolly ranchers, Delaware style". As I'm not really sure its a legitimate drink or just something the guys made up because of the color, I'll explain - a jolly rancher is a lime green or cherry red drink that looks like a cup of liquid jolly rancher and tastes like an electric shock. I can never remember what goes in what drink, but I'm pretty sure its either vodka, Everclear, or a mixture of both, with some other things to make it nice and colorful. Does something interesting for your lips as well.

The frats, of course, had their typical get togethers. Evidently this was the weekend for a few open parties, and people had fun. Drinking happens mostly in the basements at the frats, on the long tables where beer pong is played like craps, the large, pressing group of warm bodies laughing and yelling while the competitors let cute girls blow on the sticky white ping pong balls for luck. The music down there is pretty typical of that on any top ten radio station, hip hop, pop, and a bit of the faster R and B stuff. For the past few weeks, the frats have been having rush and private get togethers, so this week they opened and people had fun returning to them.

Sidenote, there are not sorority houses here at Wash U-no don't go all femi-nazi on me, they have thier suites in the Women's Building, but there is some deal the they made with the school that instead of houses they get suites and...I really don't know, but sororities don't have houses, so its just, "let's got to the frats".

So the weekend was typical. Dancing, hanging out, drugs and alcohol if you were so inclined. I, of course, just heard about all this the morning, or more accurately afternoon, after. Nothing really wild happened apparently. Not like rush week, or the first week of school, people pushing thier limits, celebrating thier new freedom miles away from condemning adult eyes. Glassy eyed zombies trying to dance, all thier ligaments seemingly cut and flopping. The floor wet and slippery with spilled beer from slap cup while music beats throughyour ears and your chest.

Univeristy has calmed down pretty much. Just drinking for the heck, because we can, is getting old. It feels like things are settling. The subtle tension, the pushing to do and try it and more and now seems to have abated. Any pressure to do anything has seemingly abated as the inevitable wheel turns and the newness luster loses its sheen. That, or I'm just really worried about this Bio test and have become blind to everything else.

Good luck and hasta manana, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment